Wednesday, September 11, 2013

This mom thing can be hard...a lot...

I just had one of those nights.  One where I just couldn't seem to do or say anything right.  Luke was having a difficult time finishing a cub scout assignment.  He needed help, but wouldn't let me.  This happened last night with his homework too.  Cali helped him, patiently, for almost 2 hours.  He didn't get upset with her help.  Tonight, he was so upset, and I couldn't get through to him or help him.  Instead of getting angry, I grabbed him and hugged him tightly.  He cried and cried.  And so did I.  I told him to not worry about the assignment, that he did all he could do for the night.  He wiped his tears and headed to bed.
Then, Gavin was having a difficult time finishing up his homework.  He asked for my help, I was able to help and then made the mistake of getting after him for not working on it sooner, since it was pass his bed time.  Oh man!  That set him off!  I walked away, because I didn't want to argue and also because I was very tired.  I then got after him for chatting with his friends while doing his homework.  Whoa!  Teenage fury was unleashed again, but he stopped.  I came into the kitchen feeling like a failure as a parent (this happens often...) and turned on a conference talk by Elder Richard G Scott about parenting.  I felt at peace as I listened to his counsel.  It made me feel better to know that I don't have to be perfect, just a loving parent.  As I sat listening to the talk, Gav walked in, having finished his work.  He thanked me for the help I gave him earlier.  I got up, hugged him and told him I loved him.  He said he knew, but wondered if I knew how much he loved me?  He said that sometimes he feels that I don't know how much he loves me.  Of course, I began to cry (and am doing so right now writing this...)  He told me he loves and appreciates all that I do for him.  I thanked him for that.  I told him that this teenager thing, and this mom thing are hard.  But that I think we are doing OK!  Not Perfect...but that's OK.  Elder Scott said so.

No comments:

Post a Comment