Don't let the smile fool you...
Thursday night, Jeremy went to play soccer with his co-ed team at the YMCA. I got a phone call from Meish and was told that he got hurt and that I needed to come get him. They told me that he wouldn't be able to drive home. I thought, oh well, dangit...what did he do now???
Well, when I pulled up into the YMCA's parking lot, he was laying on a gurney, with his leg splinted and surrounded by paramedics! Doh!
It was bad. He refused the ambulance ride to the hospital, because of the cost. Because, we do not have insurance right now. Of course we don't,....right?
The sweet paramedics loaded him into my car and then told me to get to the closest hospital, because it was bad. Eek!
I drove straight to the new Palomar Hospital off of Nordahl. I parked right in front of the ER doors and ran in to get help. All of these wonderful people came out and got Jer loaded onto a new gurney and whisked him away.
I parked and headed in to the ER to wait in line to get checked in. The nice man at the desk recognized me and let me skip the line and I was able to head straight back to the room where Jer was. They immediately took him into get xrays. Within 15-20 minutes, here was the result-
| Tib and Fib - Broken - Ouch! |
He was in SO much pain. But he hid it well (he only let me see it). He was cracking everyone up. Of course, the ER staff fell in love with him and took such good care of us.
Once the Dr. saw the xray, we were told we were being admitted and scheduled for surgery the following morning at 9:30 AM. The nurses came in and got him all ready to be moved upstairs. Here is his mangled leg without the splint-
They moved us into a nice private room on the 7th floor. I had my own little area with a nice couch bed. Mark and Adam came by to give him a blessing. It was wonderful. It really made Jeremy feel so much at ease when it was finished. I'm so thankful for the Priesthood.
He was really funny on all the drugs. And it was a long night of interruption. Neither one of us got much, if any sleep. At 9:00 AM, they came and got him and took him down to the OR. Once again, the nurses were awesome and we had fun hanging out with them while we waited for Dr. Kaska.
Dr, Kaska came and explained that he would be putting a steel rod right through the Tibia. And that the Fibula would just heal on it's own. He would also be putting in 2 screws to hold everything in place. No cast! Nope! Once he explained everything and answered our questions, they took him away for surgery.
At this point, I went home to check on the kids and take a shower. My mom and dad had spent the night with the kids and I sent them home to rest when I got home. I got some food, took a shower, grabbed the boys, took them to get their schedules from school, grabbed some lunch and then we all headed back to the hospital to wait for Daddy to get out of Recovery.
We timed it perfect. We only waited about 10 minutes and then they brought him back into the room. Here's what they did to him-
The boys were so happy to see their Dad and he was very happy to see them too.
So here's the finished product...
We were told the soonest he would be able to get out of the hospital was Sunday. But as I was finishing up as coach of his soccer practice Friday night, I get a call from him saying to come and get him! I was not ok with this. I wanted him to stay in the hospital and rest and get the right care. He was concerned with the enormous hospital bill and didn't want to pay for another day. So I raced to the hospital and checked him out...
He was very happy to be home.
So, this is where he will be for the next few weeks.
The timing of this was not great. A new job, no insurance...
But we are so thankful that he is ok. Grateful for the wonderful paramedics and hospital staff. Thankful for an awesome surgeon and pain meds! We were able to get COBRA, and that will cover a big chunk of the bills. Jeremy is able to work from home and the Dr. wants him up and walking as soon as he can. We have been visited by so many friends and family. The calls, texts, FB messages keep flowing in and that keeps him in good spirits. I even broke down and am letting the RS bring us dinner. I know the Lord is watching over us. I can feel it each day.
But we are so thankful that he is ok. Grateful for the wonderful paramedics and hospital staff. Thankful for an awesome surgeon and pain meds! We were able to get COBRA, and that will cover a big chunk of the bills. Jeremy is able to work from home and the Dr. wants him up and walking as soon as he can. We have been visited by so many friends and family. The calls, texts, FB messages keep flowing in and that keeps him in good spirits. I even broke down and am letting the RS bring us dinner. I know the Lord is watching over us. I can feel it each day.
No comments:
Post a Comment