Wednesday, January 15, 2014

YOM's Christmas Present

Nana and Papa are very difficult to shop for at Christmas time.  They have all of us make wish lists on Amazon to help them with their shopping, but they do not have wish lists of their own (we need to work on that!).  So, this year I wracked by brain trying to figure out what to get them.  Jeremy was no help (as usual...).  Papa wanted a shovel, so we got him a shovel (boring!).  But he did love it!  And I had seen that "Peter and the Starcatcher" was playing in LA.....I couldn't remember if she had read the books or not.  So, I went ahead and got us tickets.  She likes going to plays and stuff.  She hadn't read the books, so I let her borrow mine and she read them over the break.  Friday night, we hopped into the van and braved the traffic to go see the show!  I was hoping we could eat at this cool restaurant near the theater, but the traffic was so bad, that wasn't going to happen.  But we were hungry!  So, we found a place called "Ocho" in downtown LA.  Its kind of like a Chipotle...but even better and with more menu items.  It was a perfect dinner spot and left us plenty of time to make it to the theater.
Dinner at the "Ocho"!
 It took us a little bit to find the theater, but once we found it, I "magically" got us in the parking garage (I snaked a bunch of people not paying attention...) and here we are-

 It was fun and different.  Not too much like the books, but not completely off either.  It was a "flight" type of play with all the cast in every scene and props used instead of huge set pieces.  It was geared more towards an adult audience.  It took us the first act to kind of get used to how the play was being done.  But the second half was very enjoyable.  I highly recommend it!  But for a more adult audience, like 13+.  Some of the references would be missed by small children, and all the parts are played by adults.
But it was a great night.  YOM really enjoyed it and that's what was important.  She needed a fun night out this week and I'm glad we could do that for her!  Love her so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment